I didn’t really consider sharing this recipe here, since it seemed TOO simple, and is not really a recipe, but more of an idea. However, it dawned on me one day as I was making myself this wrap for the umpteenth time, that something this tasty just has to be shared and enjoyed by others too. Who am I to hog deliciousness like this all to myself? Yes, it is my obligation to bring this amazing wrap to your attention.
I’ve been working in hospital settings since I was 18 years old. When I was in college getting my nursing degree, I also had a job as a Nurse’s Aid/Unit Secretary, first of all to earn money and second of all to get more hands-on experience in the nursing field. One thing I can definitely vouch for is that hospital cafeteria food is not exactly a gourmet experience. Succumbing to cafeteria food becomes part of your identity as a medical worker; it’s the topic of conversation – “What do they have to offer tonight?” or “Does anything look remotely decent?” However, even in such settings, some gems can be found. That’s where I first fell in love with wraps. It was the one meal that I actually enjoyed with a nice side of crunchy pretzels.
Since then, I love trying out different combinations of ingredients in wraps. Hospital wraps were fairly simple, but this Chicken Caprese Wrap is prize-worthy. Chicken, soft, creamy mozzarella and juicy tomatoes, fragrant basil with olive oil and balsamic vinegar as the dressing and all of that encased in a soft, thin tortilla. You can play it up with other flavor combinations and different ingredients, such as avocado, bell peppers, roasted red peppers, lettuce, etc. There is nothing cafeteriash about this wrap – it’s headed for the hall of fame.
4-6 large tortillas
4-6 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1/2 lb thinly sliced chicken deli meat (or turkey)
12-16 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
handful of fresh basil
3-4 tomatoes, sliced
4-6 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4-6 Tablespoons olive oil
Place 3 slices of chicken on the bottom portion of the tortilla.
Place the mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken, followed by the tomatoes.
Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, add the basil on top of the tomatoes, and drizzle about 1/2-1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and olive oil on top of the tomatoes as well. Roll the tortilla over the filling ingredients. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- 4-6 large tortillas
- 4-6 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ lb thinly sliced chicken deli meat (or turkey)
- 12 - 16 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- handful of fresh basil
- 3-4 tomatoes, sliced
- salt, pepper
- 4-6 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4-6 Tablespoons olive oil
- Spread 1 Tablespoon of mayonnaise all over the surface of a tortilla, or just down the bottom portion of the tortilla.
- Place 3 slices of chicken on the bottom portion of the tortilla.
- Place the mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken, followed by the tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, add the basil on top of the tomatoes, and drizzle about ½-1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and olive oil on top of the tomatoes as well.
- Roll the tortilla over the filling ingredients. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.