Crunchy, garlicky bread topped with ham, gooey, melted cheese and fresh tomatoes and herbs makes this the most delicious Ham and Cheese Bruschetta, perfect for any party or even a easy family meal.
1 loaf Italian baguette (1/2 lb)
2 Tablespoons – 1/4 cup olive oil
2–4 garlic cloves, sliced in half
3/4 lb ham, chopped
6 oz. grated cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, Asiago, Romano, Cheddar, Colby Jack)
2–3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, oregano, etc.)
salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the bread on the bias or into circles.
- Place the sliced bread onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake it into the preheated oven for about 5 minutes until the bread is slightly golden.
- Cut up the ham separately. Cut the tomatoes and the fresh herbs and combine them in a medium bowl along with 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste. Grate the cheese.
- When the bread is toasted, slice the garlic cloves in half and rub the garlic over the surface of each slice of bread.
- Place the chopped ham on top of the bread, then with the tomato mixture and lastly with the grated cheese.
- Put the sandwiches in the oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm.