This One Dish Chicken and Potato Dinner is all roasted at the same time, so the juicy chicken breast and the tender but crisp potatoes, bell pepper, shallots and garlic create a delicious meal.
- 2 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cut into 1 – 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3–4 shallots, cut into 1 inch chunks (you can use 1 onion instead)
- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tablespoons dry herbs
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, for the chicken and potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh herbs (green onions, parsley, dill, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut all the vegetables. Place the shallots and bell pepper in a large bowl.
- Place the potatoes into a medium pot, pour in enough water to cover the potatoes. Cover the pot, bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes, just until the potatoes soften on the outside. Drain the potatoes.
- Add the potatoes to the bowl with the shallots and pepper. Add the dry herbs, garlic, salt, ground black pepper and 2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil. Mix all the ingredients together to combine.
- Season the chicken with salt and ground black pepper on both sides. Drizzle with the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil and rub it so that the oil is evenly coating the chicken.
- Put the potatoes into a 13 x 9 inch rimmed baking dish in an even layer. Place a wire rack on top of the baking dish, with the chicken breasts on top of the rack.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 35-50 minutes, depending on how big the chicken breasts are. The chicken breast should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside to rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting the chicken off the bone and into slices.
- Meanwhile, if the potatoes haven’t crisped up as much as you like, you can return them to the oven for another 5 minutes or so, under the broiler or increase the heat for 500 degrees Fahrenheit. (This is usually the case if the chicken breasts are really small and cook very quickly. If the chicken cooks longer, the potatoes should be crisp and golden by the time the chicken cooks through.)
- Sprinkle the potatoes with fresh herbs and serve with the chicken.
Keywords: One Dish Chicken and Potato Dinner, Chicken Breast With Roasted Potatoes, Bell Pepper and Shallots, One Dish Chicken Dinner