Are you looking for a new twist to the salad dilemma? I don’t know about you, but my dinner never feels complete without a side of veggies. This means that every night I’m asking myself, what salad should I make tonight? Most of the time, I don’t want to go to too much trouble, since I’ve already worked hard on the actual main course.
Like most good Belarusian girls, I love cucumber salads. In the old country, we all had greenhouse full of rows and rows of cucumbers. I can still remember so vividly stepping into a hot greenhouse and looking under the prickly leaves to find those crisp green beauties.
This salad is so easy to put together but has a unique combination of flavors, even though the ingredients are all very basic and you can find them in any store pretty much year round. The vegetables are all so crisp – the cucumbers, peppers and carrot and the dressing gives the salad a slightly sweet and a little bit tangy flavor. The cilantro is amazing in this salad, if you love cilantro like I do. If you don’t, parsley will still give it lots of fresh flavor. It’s colorful, beautiful and will be great for simple family meals or even your next dinner party.
4 medium cucumbers, sliced
2 small sweet peppers (or half of a bell pepper), julienned
1 carrot, thinly julienned
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
2 green onions, sliced
fresh cilantro (or parsley), to taste, chopped
salt, ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 – 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 – 1 Tablespoon white vinegar (you can also use apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, etc)
2-3 Tablespoon sunflower oil (or any other oil you prefer)
- 4 medium cucumbers, sliced
- 2 small sweet peppers (or half of a bell pepper), julienned
- 1 carrot, thinly julienned
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- fresh cilantro (or parsley), to taste, chopped
- salt, ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ - 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ - 1 Tablespoon white vinegar (you can also use apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, etc)
- 2-3 Tablespoon sunflower oil (or any other oil you prefer)
- Cut all the vegetables and herbs and toss them together.
- Season with salt, ground black pepper and sugar.
- Pour in the vinegar and oil and mix the salad until it's evenly distributed.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for a few hours. This salad is best served the same day.