Apple Pear Kompot is a refreshing Russian drink made from cooking fruit in water. The delicate flavor of apples and pears makes a most perfect autumn beverage.
Apples and pears complement each other so well, and a kompot made with both is one of my favorites. Kompot is a traditional Russian drink, which is made by cooking fruit and then drinking the liquid. It can be made from just about any combination of fruits or berries – fresh, frozen or dried.
Drinking the cool, refreshing beverage is so satisfying and it’s really easy to make. I make Apple Pear Sauce from the cooked fruit, so there are two delicious treats from one cooking job.
What Type of Apples and Pears are Best for Kompot?
Kompot is so accommodating, you can literally use any variety and combination of apples and pears to make this simple beverage.
What Other Fruit Can Be Used For Kompot Instead of Apples or Pears?
You can use any type of fruit or berries for kompot and create different flavor variations based on the combinations that you choose. You can also use fresh, frozen or dried fruit or berries.
Another delicious Kompot flavor combination is Cranberry Raspberry and Apple Kompot.
Is It Necessary To Peel and Core the Apples and Pears?
No. If you’re only cooking the fruit to make kompot, you most certainly do not need to peel and core the fruit. You can simply quarter the apples and pears and put them in the pot to cook.
However, if you will be making sauce out of the cooked fruit, it will be much easier and the sauce will be much smoother if you peel and core the fruit first. You will be straining everything through a fine mesh sieve, so it won’t matter for the drink.
What Can You Use To Sweeten the Drink Instead of Sugar?
If you are using granulated sugar, sweeten it according to your preference, so add as much or as little sugar as you want.
You can use any type of sugar that you like – granulated, brown, raw, turbinado sugars all work.
Instead of sugar, you can use maple syrup, agave syrup, stevia or any other type of sweetener that you like.
How To Make the Apple Pear Kompot
- Place the quartered, peeled and cored fruit in a large pot along with the sugar and 12 cups of water and add sugar to taste.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until the fruit is fully cooked and tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve. Make Apple Pear Sauce from the cooked fruit.
- Cool the liquid. You will have 11 – 11 1/2 cups of concentrated Apple Pear Kompot. Dilute with more cold water. I usually add 4-6 additional cups of water.
- Store the Kompot in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Apple-Pear Kompot (Fruit Drink)
Apple Pear Kompot is a refreshing Russian drink made from cooking fruit in water. The delicate flavor of apples and pears makes a perfect autumn beverage.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 17 cups 1x
- Category: Miscellaneous
- 3 lbs apples, quartered
- 3 lbs pears, quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
- Quarter the fruit, peel and core the apples and pears if you will make sauce later. Place the fruit in a large pot (6-8 quarts) and fill it to the top with water. Add the sugar.
- Bring it to a boil and the reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes, until the fruit is cooked through and soft all the way through.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. You will have 11 – 11 1/2 cups of concentrated Apple Pear Kompot.
- Dilute it with more cold water to achieve the flavor that you like. I usually add 4-6 cups of water in addition to the concentrated kompot.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: apple pear drink, Kompot, Russian drink, cooked fruit beverage, autumn, kompot recipe, Russian Kompot recipe
This is an updated version of the Apple Pear Kompot recipe that was published originally on September 21, 2012.