Chocolate salami is a no-bake dessert, a combination of cookies and chocolate. It looks like salami, but is actually a dessert and is so easy to make.
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter ((8 oz))
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz tea biscuits
- I like to use tea biscuits in this recipe. You can use vanilla wafers, shortbread cookies, or Russian tea cookies. Each package of tea biscuits that I used was about 4 oz, so I used 3 packages.
- Crush the cookies into coarse crumbs. You can use your hands or place the cookies inside a ziptop bag and crush them with a rolling pin or a mallet.
- Set up a Homemade Double Boiler. Place a heatproof bowl over a medium pot with about an inch of water in the bottom of the pot. make sure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl and mix until the butter has melted but is still cool.
- Add the egg and mix to combine. Stirring frequently, keep cooking the mixture for about 10-15 minutes, until it thickens.
- Add the milk, cocoa, and salt to the mixture. Cool slightly.
- Add the cookie crumbs to the cocoa mixture. Mix to combine.
- Scoop out part of the mixture onto parchment paper or aluminum. Shape the cookie mixture into the shape of a log and wrap it tightly inside the parchment paper or aluminum foil. You should have 4 chocolate salamis.
- Chill in the refrigerator or the freezer.
- When you’re ready to serve, sift some powdered sugar over the Chocolate Salami and slice into pieces.
The Chocolate Salami can be stored in the refrigerator for a week or freeze them up to 6 months in advance in a freezer ziplock bag or an airtight container.